President Trump has bought hamburgers and pizzas for a college football team visiting the White House – blaming the government shutdown for the takeaway menu.
The White House is operating with a smaller staff owing to the federal government partial shutdown.
Key words and phrases
a selection of food served so people can help themselves
• There was a smorgasbord at one end of the hall for guests to help themselves.
• Dan offered Neil a smorgasbord of entertainment for the weekend.
has an unpleasant effect
• It’s quite mild today, but you’ll need a hat for when this winter really bites.
• Now that his hip injury has bitten, Murray is thinking of retiring from tennis.
can’t stomach it
unable to accept (something)
• Don’t play a horror movie, please. It’s too scary and I really can’t stomach it.
• I’ve never been able to stomach the awkwardness of a public argument.
[Cover: Getty Images]
Visit our website for more details and a quiz:
Learning English is easy! Improve your English with our free English videos and lessons on grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation and English exams.
Please use English when you comment.
For more free English lessons and videos visit our website: m